Friday 4 October 2013

Communication skills example from Chase Jarvis

Let me show you a nice example of communication skills.

From some time ago, I am getting myself a photography aficionado, using a Canon 1100D that is helping me understand about ISO, Aperture, Exposure time and Light, I go experimenting here and there, trying to learn a bit. One of the things that also helps is the amount of videos that are available at Youtube, and this time I would like to recommend you one.

It is about a contest, where a famous photographer is given a sub-standard camera made of LEGO  and asked to go and get some pictures.

 

Chase Jarvis not only gets to do some fine pictures, but you can appreciate how he tests, how he explores the possible options he's got, the way he interacts with the people he is taking pictures to, how he is a servant, humble to understand what people are doing and why, and how he asks them for guidance before he starts shooting pictures, in order to understand the context of what they are doing.

The video is about 20 minutes long, but when I see it I think that it quite explains why you need to have communication skills and how Testers should approach Developers and the rest of the people we work with, after all, we provide a service, and we perform testing as best as we know to help others to deliver or receive the best possible feature.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atomic Habits book review

  Atomic Habits is becoming a popular book about dealing with you own habits. The book is an easy read, where concepts are presented in a wa...